PURPOSE OF THE ASSOCIATION
The purpose of the Extension Master GardenerSM Volunteer Association of Buncombe County (EMGVABC) is to support, teach and encourage a diverse community of gardeners using current research-based horticultural practices. In carrying out its mission, the Association will engage exclusively in charitable and educational activities within the meaning of Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended from time to time, and the corresponding provisions of any future United States Internal Revenue law (“the Code”) and that are permitted under the North Carolina Nonprofit Corporation Act (the “Act”). Such activities shall include, but not be limited to:
- Enhancing, supplementing, and aiding in improving the effectiveness of its members as volunteers in the Extension Master GardenerSM program of Buncombe County;
- Raising issues of concern for improvement of local and statewide Extension Master GardenerSM programs;
- Facilitating communication among Association members through regular meetings, newsletters, emails, and other events;
- Raising funds in support of the Association, state, county and multi-county, consumer horticulture, and Extension Master Gardener Volunteer (“EMGV”) programs;
- Promoting public awareness and appreciation of the horticultural services of the North Carolina Cooperative Extension with emphasis on the value and importance of education, consultation and training; and,
- Sponsoring and co-sponsoring education and training activities for EMGVABC members and the public and in partnership with Buncombe County, North Carolina multi-county programs and the North Carolina Cooperative Extension.