Do you know a school that would benefit from a monetary grant and hands-on support from the Extension Master GardenerSMVolunteers of Buncombe County? School Garden Grants are available to Asheville City and Buncombe County Schools, including charter schools. The application period is January 7 to February 5, 2022. All applications must be submitted on-line.
For answers to your questions call the NC Cooperative Extension office at (828) 255-5522.
Why offer school garden grants?
The mission of the School Garden Grants program is to provide monetary grants and support to public schools, located in Buncombe County that integrate gardening principles into the curriculum, connecting students to nature, leading to a healthy, sustainable community.
How to apply
All applications must be submitted online, using Formstack. The application period is January 8 to February 5, 2022. Application period has ended. The application form is no longer accessible.
How grant applications are evaluated
School Garden Grants applications are evaluated to determine how well the applicant’s program meets the Extension Master Gardener mission.
The amount of grants awarded will vary based on the number of schools applying and the funds available. Typical grants range from $100 to $500, with the average close to $300.
In reviewing grant requests, we consider the following criteria:
- A plan with clear goals and objectives that show how the program will be integrated into the curriculum;
- A sustainable program that shows that the garden is an extension of the classroom;
- Examples of how horticultural and evidence-based information and research-based principles are used, including in math and science;
- Consistency of goals that match the budget of the grant; and,
- A list of anticipated commitments from staff, parents and community partners.
What we fund
To assist you in applying for a grant, here is a list of things that we fund and don’t fund:
What We Fund
What We Don’t Fund
-Seeds and plants (and starts)
-Electronic devices (computers)
The following guidelines may be downloaded and printed for your use:
2022 School Garden Grants Guidelines